History of Mount Anville Primary School
The Free School opened. The school was situated beside the farm, close to where the tennis courts in the secondary school are now located.
Permission was given for a new building.
The new building was opened and the "new" school was to be called Mount Anville National School.
The Primary School on the Lower Kilmacud Road was built.
It was opened by Archbishop Mc Quaid in July 1955.
Principals over the years:
- 1952 - 1956 Sr Eileen O Donovan
- 1956 - 1962 Sr Clare Horan
- 1962 - 1987 Sr Rosemary O Brien
- 1987 - 1992 Sr Gillian Dempsey
- 1992 - 1994 Mrs Joan Winston (Acting Principal)
- 1994 - 1997 Sr Gillian Dempsey
- 1997 - ... Ms Gráine McGowan.
The History of Mount Anville House
(Formerly known as Mount Anville Convent and Dargan House).
The mural on the wall in Croi na Scoile depicts the link that Mr William Dargan has with Mount Anville. The main house at Mount Anville was built by Mr Dargan some time before 1853. It is built in the style of an Italian Villa and has a square tower. Mr Dargan was an engineer. He was born in 1799 and died in 1867. He built the first railway in Ireland between Dublin and Dun Laoghaire which was opened in 1832-1834. From then he built most of the railways in Ireland.
The story is told that he first called his house Cedar Mount because of the lovely cedars around. Then one day the local blacksmith called. He wanted Mr Dargan to give him a block of cedar wood to put under his anvil. A cedar tree had just been cut down. Mr Dargan asked why he needed the block to go under the anvil and the blacksmith explained that if there was wood under the anvil the metal anvil did not rebound when you struck it while forging the iron for the horses’ shoes. Mr Dargan gave him the block of wood and renamed his house Mount Anville. He realized that this would also be the case for the railway lines which he was building thus leading to the development of the idea of changing the sleepers under the railway tracks to wooden ones.
The Great Industrial Exhibition in Dublin. Mr Dargan gave 19,000 pounds. In gratitude a Dargan Testimonial Committee was formed. The National Gallery was built. His statue is outside the Gallery. The wrought iron gates in the grounds of Mount Anville House were given to him to mark his contribution to industrial progress in Ireland.
Queen Victoria came to visit Mr Dargan in 1853. The visit is described in Illustrated London News, September 1853. She planted the Wellingtonia tree which is still growing outside the main door of Mount Anville House.